Slideshow Image 1 Slideshow Image 2 Slideshow Image 3 Slideshow Image 4 Slideshow Image 5

img 

General Information

Area 21.45sq.Kms
Population Towm  : 36,501(2011 Census)
Taluk  : 1,14,999(2011 Census)
Altitude 2133 Mts. above sea level
Climate
  Max. Min.
Summer : 19.8ºC 11.3ºC
Winter : 17.3ºC 8.3ºC
Rainfall 165 cm (average) Heavy rain occurs during Oct-Dec
Clothing Light Wollens in the evening during summer and heavy wollens during winter.
Languages spoken Tamil and English
Season April – June & September-October . One can visit this hill station throughout the year too.
STD 04542

Places of Interest

Lake
The Lake : The Lake : The 24 –hectare lake skirted by a 5 Km long black tar road, is the focal point in Kodai. This lake was created in 1863 by Sir Vere Hendry Levinge[1818-1885] the then collector of Madurai, retired and settled in Kodaikanal. He constructed the bund to form a lake and stocked the lake with fish. He brought the first boat from Tuticorin. In, 1890 a Boat Club was formed and Boating was opened to public and tourists in 1932 only.
Bryant Park                                  

Bryant's park :  Conceived and landscaped in 1980 by a British Army Officer, Glenn Bryant. This park is situated on the eastern side of the lake. It is noted for its flowers, both hybrids and grafts. Cut flowers are exported from here. A glass house which displays fine varieties of flowers can be seen here. The Flower Show conducted every year during May, as part of the Summer Festivals, should be visited by every one. Timings : All days of the week . Best time to visit April – December. Entrance fee: Rs.20/- per person.

Solar Physical Observatory : It is located at 3.2 Kms from the lake at an elevation of 2343 meters. This observatory set up in 1899, is owned and operated by Indian Institute of Astrophysics. This is the highest point at Kodiakanal. There is a popular Astronomy museum on campus for the visitors. The displays are mainly pictorial, supported by a few models. From April 1st to June 15th Kodaikanal Observatory is open to public between 10:00 to 12:00 hrs and 14:00 to 16:00 hrs. It is open to public only on every Friday between 10:00 to 12:00 hrs during the other months of the year. Contact (4542) 240218 for further details.

Coakers Walk
Coakers Walk : Er.Coaker identified this hill-edged pathway in 1872. About a kilometer from the lake. Coaker’s walk runs along a steep slope on the southern side of Kodaikanal. It offers some of the best views of plains. Entry fee is collected here.


Kurinji Andavar Temple :  The temple is situated 3 Kms from the lake. It is a famous shrine dedicated to Lord Murugan. The temple is associated with the Kurunji flowers that bloom once in 12 years. Kurunji means the hill region in Tamil Literature and andavar means God . Hence Lord Murugan is worshipped as the God of the Hill. From this temple one can have a view of Palani and Vaigi Dam.

Telescope House : Old fashioned Telescope house at Coakers Walk was constructed to enable visitors to have a panoramic view of the valley and nearby towns. Sothupparai Dam, Vaigai Dam, Periyakulam and more areas can be viewed from this point. A nominal fee is collected to use the telescope.
pillarock
Green valley View : It is located a little over 5 Kms from Kodaikanal and close to the golf club. One can have a magnificent view of the vaigai below.

The Pillar Rocks : which stand 122 meters high. It is located at 7th Km from Kodai lake.



PREV


NEXT



1 2 3 4 5 6
AN OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF TAMILNADU TOURISM DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION AND DEPARTMENT OF TOURISM
  Contact:ttdc@vsnl.com Tech Support:Soft Source Technologies Pvt Ltd